A cover letter, covering letter, motivation letter, motivational letter or a letter of motivation is a letter of introduction attached to, or accompanying another document such as a résumé or curriculum vitae.
Job seekers frequently send a cover letter along with their curriculum vitae or applications for employment as a way of introducing themselves to potential employers and explaining their suitability for the desired positions. Employers may look for individualized and thoughtfully written cover letters as one method of screening out applicants who are not sufficiently interested in their positions or who lack necessary basic skills. Cover letters are typically categorized according to two purposes:
- applying for a specific, advertised opening (“letter of application”)
- expressing interest in an organization when the job seeker is uncertain whether there are current openings (“letter of inquiry”) 
Students are often asked to submit a cover letter for an internship application. Such cover letter should include examples of extracurricular and academic experience. Despite this specific information, cover letters for internship should have a standard business letter format.
- The , which responds to a known job opening.
- The , which inquires about possible positions.
Résumé cover letters may also serve as marketing devices for prospective job seekers. Cover letters are used in connection with many business documents such as loan applications (mortgage loan), contract drafts and proposals, and executed documents. Cover letters may serve the purpose of trying to catch the reader's interest or persuade the reader of something, or they may simply be an inventory or summary of the documents included along with a discussion of the expected future actions the sender or recipient will take in connection with the documents.
Refer to the requirement given in the job description and demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Emphasise on experiences that are relevant for the job.
- According to your advertisement, your position requires (skills). These skills I have developed during ... (experience).
- I understand the position requires (skills). I ... (details why you meet the requirements).
- I recently graduated from (university) with a degree in (field).
- Since 2002 / For 2 years I have been working for (company).
- Following my training as a (job title), I spent (time) working for (company).
- As (current job) for (company), I have developed my skills and experience as (job title)
- Prior to my current position, I was working for (company), where I ... (jobs, tasks, skills).
- Throughout my career I have acquired a thorough knowledge of ...
- I have solid experience in ...
- I have more than ... years of ... experience.
- My experiences / skills / ... will provide your company with a highly productive (job title).
- I have always had a strong interest in ...
- I am very competent in ...
- I very much enjoy both ... and ...
- My experience in (field) have convinced me that (future position) is a career option I would like to explore.
- My high degree of motivation has been appreciated by my previous employers.
- Thanks to my high degree of motivation I was quickly promoted to positions of greater responsibility.
- The enclosed CV / resume elaborates on the details of my skills and experience.