Skip to content

Sample N-400 Cover Letter

Please read and follow the form filing instructions. Form fees, eligibility requirements, fee waiver eligibility, required documents and mailing addresses vary depending on the form you are filing and why you are filing. These tips will help ensure we accept your application, petition, or request package for processing.

Complete Your Form Accurately

  • Don’t forget to sign your form! We will reject and return any unsigned form.
  • Use the most current form version. We prefer that you download forms from our website, complete them electronically, and then print your forms to submit.
  • Complete the entire form.
  • If you hand write your answers, use black ink. Make sure your entries are neat, legible and within the space provided.
  • Do not use highlighters or correction fluid or tape. The scanners we use will not properly read information that is greyed out, highlighted or corrected using correction fluid or tape.
  • If you make an error, start over with a clean form.
  • If filing multiple forms, write your name, date of birth, and A-Number (if any) exactly the same way on each form.
  • Pay the correct fee. We will reject forms submitted with incorrect or incomplete fees.

Assemble Your Application, Petition, or Request

  • We recommend assembling your package in the following order:
    • Check or money order (Write the form you are filing and your A-Number or other applicable identification on the check or money order.)
    • Form G-1145, Request for e-Notification (if applicable)
    • Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative (if applicable)
    • Form being filed
    • Supporting documentation:
      • Submit the documents or evidence listed in the form instructions.
      • Supporting documents must be in English or accompanied by a complete English translation.
      • Submit copies unless we request original documents. If you send an original document with your form, it may become part of the record and we will not return it to you automatically. 
      • If you have any attachments, make sure each attached page has your name and A-Number (if any). You may also number the pages and include the total amount of pages being attached (for example, “page 1 of 11”).
  • Mark the envelope and the cover letter with the nature of the submission. For example, Original Submission, Brief for an Appeal, or Response to Request for Additional Information.
  • Mark the envelope and the cover letter with the form number. For example, I-129, I-130, I-690 or I-698.
  • In preparing your packet, remember:
    • Do not use binders or folders that we cannot easily disassemble.
    • Use fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.
    • Sticky tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. For easy filing, place the tabs on the bottom of the page, not the side.
    • Do not use heavy-duty staples; instead use fasteners or heavy clips.
    • Do not submit originals unless specifically required. 
    • Do not submit oversized documentation unless it is necessary.
  • If you are sending more than one case in an envelope, clearly separate the cases by rubber band or fasteners.
  • If you are resubmitting the packet in response to a Request for Evidence (RFE), please place the notice requesting the additional evidence/information on the top of the packet. Also, please use the special mailing envelope provided.
  • If you are submitting evidence in support of a previously filed appeal or motion, place a cover letter with “Brief for (Appeal/Motion)” on top of the packet.

Mail Your Application, Petition, or Request 

  • Mail your forms to the address listed on that form’s webpage. You may submit your forms through USPS, FedEx, DHL, or UPS.
  • If you mail your applications, petitions, or requests to the wrong filing location, we may reject it as improperly filed and return it to you to re-file.

Share This Page

Last Reviewed/Updated:

U.S. Citizenship Application and Photographs

  1. Complete your application
    Once you have Form N-400, you must fill it out completely. USCIS may ask for additional information if you leave it out of your application. This will delay the processing of your naturalization application.

    You will be required to answer questions about your application at your interview. When completing your application, you should answer all questions honestly. Be sure to keep a copy of your completed application for your records.

  2. Get two photographs taken
    You should include two standard, passport-style, color photographs with your application. If you do not send photographs with your application, USCIS will return the application to you.

    Photograph instructions.

    Be sure there is enough white space in the margin of the photographs so you will have room to sign your full name if your application is approved.

    You should print your name and "A" number lightly in pencil on the back of each photograph.

  3. Collect the necessary documents
    Applicants who are lawful permanent residents of the United States must submit photocopies (front and back) of Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card). Depending on the circumstances, some applicants must send certain documents with their application. For more information on the documents you must send with your application, see

    Use the Document Checklist. If you do not send the necessary documents with your application, the processing of your application may be delayed. In most cases, you should send a copy of a document, but you should be prepared to bring the originals with you to your interview. USCIS may also ask you to send other documents to us before your interview, or to bring additional documents with you to your interview.

    Be sure to send an English translation with any document that is not already in English. The translation must include a statement from the translator that he or she is competent to translate and that the translation is correct.

    If you do not have a required document and cannot get a certified copy of the original, submit a certification from the original recording authority explaining why it cannot be provided. In that case USCIS will consider other evidence such as notarized affidavits.

    The Document Checklist will tell you when you need to send original documents and when you may send copies. Remember to make and keep copies of all documents you send to USCIS.

  4. Send your application, documents, and fee to the USCIS Lockbox Facility
    Send your application directly to the USCIS Lockbox that serves your area. If you try to take or mail your application to a local USCIS office, it will be returned to you.

    Current naturalization fees. You need to pay the filing fee and for everyone under 75 years, biometric fees.

    If you are applying based on 5 years as a Permanent Resident or 3 years as a Permanent Resident married to a U.S. citizen, you may file for naturalization up to 90 days before you have met the "continuous residence" requirement. For example, if you are required to be in "continuous residence" for 5 years before you naturalize, you may apply once you have been in "continuous residence" 5 years minus 90 days. Do not apply too early or your application will be returned to you or denied.

    Make sure to send it by certified mail with return receipt requested. Also, if multiple people are applying in the family, send each application in a separate envelope.

    Use the following list to determine where to send your application, documents, and fee:

    If you currently reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:

    P.O. Box 21251
    Phoenix, AZ 85036

    For private courier (non-USPS) deliveries, use:

    Attn: N-400
    1820 E Skyharbor Circle S, Floor 1
    Phoenix, AZ 85034

    If you reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:

    P.O. Box 660060
    Dallas, TX 75266

    For private courier (non-USPS) deliveries , use:

    Attn: N-400
    2501 S State Hwy 121, Business Suite 400
    Lewisville, TX 75067

    All naturalization applicants filing under the military provisions, section 328 or 329, should file their application at the Nebraska Service Center regardless of geographic location or jurisdiction. Please send your application to:

    Nebraska Service Center
    P.O. Box 87426
    Lincoln, NE 68501-7426

    For private courier (non-USPS) deliveries, use:

    Nebraska Service Center
    850 S Street
    Lincoln, NE 68508
What if I live overseas? If you are overseas and filing Form N-400, you should send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility that serves the USCIS office where you want to be interviewed.

What if I am currently serving in active duty status in the military? If you are applying for naturalization based on qualifying military service, and are currently serving in an active duty status, you may go to your service's personnel office for information on how to prepare your application. You should speak to your personnel office even if you are stationed overseas. For more information, see "Naturalization Information for Military Personnel" (Form M-599).

Arrange the documents in following order:

Fee payment
Form N-400 with two photos attached
Form G-28, if applicable
Copy of front and back of I-551 (Permanent Resident) card
Other evidence
Supporting documentation

Cover letter is NOT required. Therefore, don't write a cover letter.

Application filing instructions